At St. Joseph School we believe that each person is a unique creation of God and that every child has been given special gifts and talents. It is because of this philosophy that we offer enrichment and extra-curricular programs to our students. Listed below are some of the enrichment and extra-curricular programs currently offered at St. Joseph School.
Baseball 5 – 8 boys only
Basketball 5 - 8
Cheerleading 8th girls (7th grade if needed)
Cross-country 5 - 8
Track 5 - 8
Volleyball 5 - 8 girls only
GUIDELINES FOR STUDENT PARTICIPATION
Students may participate in athletic and/or extra-curricular activities if they meet eligibility requirements:
- Students must have a permission slip on file in the school office to participate
- Students must have a current sports physical examination on file (only for baseball, softball, cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, cross country, track)
- Students are adequately covered by insurance
- Student must have paid the activity fee, $30.00, before the first activity or performance. In cases of hardship, please contact the principal to arrange a payment plan
- Students have returned the diocesan consent and liability waiver and the student/parent code of conduct with parent/guardian signature
- Students will have an acceptable attitude.
- Participation in extra-curricular activities is a privilege. Therefore, students forfeit the privilege if behavior, academic standards, and financial obligations are not met. Athletic and/or extra-curricular activities do not take precedence over academics.
Requirements for meeting eligibility will include the following:
- Students participating in extra-curricular activities or sports must meet standards set by Illinois Elementary School Association (I.E.S.A.).
- Eligibility will be taken weekly during the season of the sport or activity. Grades will be checked at the end of each week in the following subjects areas: Math, Science, Social Studies, Religion, Language Arts, Spelling, Music, PE, Spanish, and Computers.
- Students must be doing overall “C” average work when all subjects are averaged together. There must be no F’s or U’s.
- At the beginning of each nine weeks, eligibility will be reported after the second week of grades.
- If a student is failing any subject, he/she will be ineligible the following Monday through Saturday and must raise his/her grade to meet eligibility requirements in order to be reinstated for the following week.
- Students who do not meet eligibility requirements will not be allowed to practice, participate or perform for that week.
- Students who become ineligible for three weeks in a row will no longer be a part of the team/participate in the activity.
- Students who choose to participate in practices, games, and/or performances while ineligible will be immediately removed from the extra-curricular activity and/or athletic team for the season.
- The student must be in attendance a half day of class the day of a game/meet/performance in order to participate. The Principal only, in consultation with the Pastor, must approve exceptions. An example of an exception would be when a student needs to attend a funeral.
- The Principal only, in consultation with the Pastor, can make exception to eligibility rules within the I.E.S.A. regulations, as well as reinstatements.
- All parents and coaches will be notified on Monday of those students who are ineligible.
- Students who receive a detention will be suspended from extra-curricular activities for one week; in-school suspension for two weeks and an out-of-school suspension he/she will be removed from the activity/team.
- If a student is removed from an activity/team, then they will forfeit all awards for that activity/team.
RESPONSIBLITIES OF STUDENT INVOLVED IN ATHLETICS
All student athletes, contestants, and cheerleaders will be expected to maintain standards as defined below:
- To be in attendance at least a half day in the classroom the day of the game/event.
- To be present at all practice sessions and games unless excused by the coach.
- To present an explanation, written and signed by the parents, in the event of an absence from practice or game.
- To keep his/her uniform neat and clean and to return the uniform at the end of the season.
- To pay the cost or replacement for any damaged uniform.
- To take proper care of all equipment used.
- To cooperate with and show respect to all coaches, supervisors, school personnel, referees, and opponents.
- To play or cheer to the best of their ability.
- Use of vulgar language or outburst of temper will not be tolerated.
- Use of tobacco, alcohol, substance abuse, or any substance that alters mind, body or performance will disqualify the participant from team membership.
- Any act that is a felony or misdemeanor will disqualify the participant from the team membership.
- To abide by the above listed eligibility rules.
- To abide by the coach’s rules within the various activities.
- To promote a positive work ethic for personal growth and team development.
St. Joseph School reserves the right to remove student athletes, contestants, and cheerleaders from any school-sponsored activity if continued, inappropriate behavior occurs during the event.