St. Joseph Catholic School students should be dressed in accordance with the philosophy and spirit of the school, and in accordance with the learning atmosphere, which the school creates and maintains. No student should feel better or worse than any other student because of their appearance. This allows the students to focus on their primary function in school, which is to receive a strong Christian education.
School is for education; therefore, students must be attired and groomed modestly in such a manner as not to be a source of distraction or offense to other students while attending school. This dress code attempts to balance affordability while maintaining a serious learning environment where all can succeed. The dress code is based on the discretion and interpretation of the administration and the code will be reviewed annually by the Commission on Education and revisions or clarifications may be proposed as necessary.
Parents are encouraged to bring in questionable clothing for approval. In other words, “When in doubt, ask,” or better yet, “When in doubt, don’t wear it.” Once a student has been notified that a particular clothing article is not appropriate, that article may not be worn to school again. If an item is not listed in the dress code, it is not a part of our dress code and cannot be worn at school.
Students must be in school dress code each attendance day unless otherwise specified by administration. For example, a non-dress code day may be permitted for certain field trips depending on the activity students are attending, or such as 8th graders at May Crowning who may wear dress-up clothes. Approval must be granted by administration.
Students must comply with the school dress code during All School Mass and church services. Students will not be permitted to wear their coats, sweatshirts, and other non-dress code clothing during this time. Students may wear approved school fleece jackets and sweaters during Mass if they are cold.
The dress code is as follows Grades K - 8:
- Short or long sleeve Oxford, polo style with plain collar, or turtleneck (Non-form fitting shirts are allowed)
- Solid white, navy blue or red
- No shirts with any other logos will be allowed
- Must be tucked in at all times
- Undershirt or camisole must be solid white
- Solid navy or khaki dress pants with waistbands and/or zippers (no contrasting stitching, trim, decorative pockets or cargo pants)
- No denim-like material allowed
- If pants have belt loops, then a belt must be worn; Belt loops must not be cut off or removed
- Shorts: may ONLY be worn during the months of August, September, October, April and May
- Solid navy or khaki walking shorts with waistband and/or zipper
- Must be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee
- No cargo style
- No denim-like material allowed
- If shorts have belt loops, then a belt must be worn
- Solid tights must be all white or navy (no lace or embellishments or logos)
- Socks are required at all times – must be one solid color, either navy, black or white
- Green plaid jumpers or skirts (Must be purchased from Lagron-Miller)
- No shorter than 2 inches above knee
- Solid navy or black shorts must be worn under jumpers and skirts (Leg warmers and sweatpants may not be worn under the skirts in the school)
- Solid black, brown or navy
- Must be worn if pants/slacks have belt loops
- Solid navy or royal blue
- Vests, cardigans, V-neck, or crewed
- Only the St. Joseph logos purchased through Parents’ Club sales will be allowed. No other logos will be allowed on sweaters and sweatshirts
- No outside sweatshirts allowed unless used as outerwear and removed when in building
Jewelry (Modest jewelry is allowed for girls)
- One non-dangling post earring in each ear (Only one earring per ear in the lower lobe is allowed)
- One religious necklace or scapular allowed
- Watches permitted
- One religious jelly bracelet allowed
- Boys may not wear earrings
- For safety reasons, no rings or bracelets are allowed
- Clean, well groomed, and conservative hair style
- No distracting hair color or “fad” styles; hair color must be one’s natural hair coloring
- Boys only: hair must be 3 inches or shorter
- Boys’ hair must be above the shirt collar, above eyebrows & must be cut so the entire ear is showing at all times. Shaved designs are not allowed. The principal will decide the suitability of hairstyles.
- All hair accessories must be sold in color: navy blue, black or white (this includes all bobby pins, ponytail holders, headbands, etc.)
- Solid brown or black dress shoes must be worn during the school day
- Athletic shoes may be worn if they are all black, with no white, colored markings or designs on the shoe
- Dress or athletic shoes must have laces, Velcro, buckle, or slip-on with a back
- Non-marking tennis shoes are required during PE classes only and can be any color
- No winter/fashion boots may be worn during class times. Students will need to change into their regular school shoes
- Flip-Flops, slippers, moccasins, Heelys, or any type of wheelie shoes are not allowed
- Girls may not wear make-up in any grade
- No body art or piercing of any kind that is visible
Dress pants/Shorts/Jumpers/Skirts must be purchased in the “uniform section” of only the following stores: Target, Kohl’s, JC Penney, Aeropostale, Sears, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Land’s End, Sam Harris, etc. Plaid jumpers or skirts must be purchased only from Lagron-Miller.
Grades 7 & 8 Only
Following the same guidelines above may also include black color for tops and sweatshirts. (No form fitting shirts allowed).